Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Wild Coast

Hey guys! I hope everyone is doing well back in the USA and hopefully it's getting warmer too! Things here in Lesotho are going well and I just returned from a wonderful vacation to the Wild Coast in South Africa. The name implies everything about what Wild Coast is-very WILD. I spent over a week on white sand beaches and swimming in the warm Indian Ocean. It was absolutely beautiful. The lush green hills that are scattered with round mud huts roll down and meet the white sand beaches. It is the only place in all my travels that I have shared the beach with cows and goats. I wondered why they wandered to the beach because there is nothing on the sand that they can graze on, but maybe they just wanted to spend a little time at the beach as well. To get to the Wild Coast from Lesotho was an adventure all by itself. We left Lesotho by 7:30am on a Thursday morning and took public transport all the way to the coast. Shortly after crossing the border into South Africa we quickly got onto a taxi but after 2hours of driving it broke down in the middle of NOWHERE. We waited on the roadside for over 2.5 hours before finally getting a lift to Umtata (the major hub to Wild Coast). But by the time we arrived in Umtata it was too late to continue on to our destination and we were forced to stay in the dirty, sketchy town. We arrived at a hotel in the center of town. As soon as we entered our room I immediately noticed cockroaches crawling on the beds and coming out of the sinks. There was also a loud bar right behind our room. I could lean out my window and spit on the men's head below if I wanted. Needless to say, we didn't get very much rest that night. We later got confirmation that the hotel was indeed a hoar house. The next morning we took the first taxi out of Umtata to Coffee Bay. When the taxi driver dropped us off at the side of the road I asked him where the ocean was and the hostel. His response was that it was 20km (13-13miles) down the dirt road and that there was no public transport to that place. So with a combination of walking and getting a few lifts here and there we finally made it to Mdumbi after 1.5days of travelling from Lesotho. It was a great time on the Wild Coast and I didn't want to leave at all, but I guess all vacations must come to an end. I'm already planning my next trip to the ocean for July to Mozambique. I love the Mountain Kingdom of Lesotho but I think I'm an ocean girl at heart.

No comments: