Saturday, July 26, 2008

Ho joang?

Hi there! It has been too long in writing, I am sorry for this. The last time I was blogging the power went out at the internet cafe so I lost everything. This is quite common here in Lesotho. Those people who do have power often lose it everyday. Lesotho sells a lot of its power to South Africa who is also experiencing huge power shortages. Anywho, a lot has happened in the past month. I had lunch with the Ambassador, got my site assignment, and left my host village. Trainning is just about over and I go to my site this monday for a visit and then come back to swear in as an official PCV. I will be living in the Quthing highlands region of Lesotho. I am in a small, rural village. I will be working with a community based organization doing HIV/AIDS awareness/education/prevention and agriculture (permaculture, canning, and food preservation). The beauty of my job is that I can really do anything but that is the main focus. So Quthing region is in the southern part of Lesotho, close to the South African border. I will live in a rodavel (round house) with a thatched roof, no electricity or running water. I cannot wait. I will fill you all in once I visit and hopefully begin to upload pictures soon. The weather here is getting pretty hot (for winter), the days are sunny and warm but the nights still cool. We had a big feast and ceremony in my village (host) the day we left. It was great the whole town showed up. A lot dancing, talking, and eating. It was sad to leave my host family but I am very excited to begin to get settled in my home. I feel like there is a lot more to tell you all but I am running out of time. I am still trying to figure out I how can respond to individual posts, but with the power going out it is difficult. Keep in touch, talk to you soon. Khotso.

No comments: