Sunday, June 8, 2008

Lumela (Greetings)! Hello from Lesotho. I finally made it here to Maseru after a long journey from the US. I left Philly on Wednesday and took a bus to NYC to catch a flight to Joburg, South Africa via Darkar (Senegal). It was an 18 hour flight to Joburg where I spent the night at a really fancy hotel which was great because we were NOT to leave the hotel for any reason because of all the stuff going on. I then took a flight friday morning to Maseru, Lesotho on a tiny plan with propellars. We had to leave people and luggage behind because we were over the weight limit. It was a bit of a scary flight but touched down safely in Maseru friday morning. The views from the plane were amazing. Lesotho is truely the Mountain Kingdom. The past couple of days have been pretty relaxed which is nice with only a few sessions throughout the day. I am beginning to learn Sesotho, which is quite a difficult language. The weather here is nice. The days are sunny and warm, but the nights cool down with frost accumulating by morning. Maseru, the capital, is like no other African capital that I have seen before. It is quite sparse reflecting the extreme poverty of this country. Although there is a grocery store and stores to buy cell phones and such, which I plan on buying at somepoint. I hope all is well back in the US and that you are all enjoying the summer months. I will keep you all posted. I start community based training next week where I stay with a host family for 5 or 6 weeks but I think I i will be able to check email periodically. Be well, and stay in touch!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

jules!!!!! i am so glad you made it safely. it sounds beautiful. i am thinking of you!!! Be safe and good and we miss you here in the US.

Quinn said...

Hey Julie,
Sounds like you are incredibly busy and learning alot. We all miss you. Things are fine here in Casco.
Be safe.