Thursday, December 4, 2008

Holy Cow!

Wow! Its been a long time! How is everyone? I apologize for the long delay in updating my blog but I have had little (no) access to internet since I departed the capital city of Maseru. I'm back in Maseru for some in-service trainning for 10days so I promise to do some serious blogging before I go back to site. Anyway, where do I start? Well, I guess a good place is to describe my village and my community. I live in a very small village (about 100people) at about 6,000 ft above sea-level. I am actually in a river valley so the views of the mountains are AMAZING! I will definetly post some pics while in town. I have my own rondaval on a family compound. My host family is amazing. My host father works in South Africa in the gold mines so I don't see him very often and my host mother holds down the fort at home. They have five children together (4boys and 1girl), from ages 27-6. My host sister had a baby back in August. Its actually quite an interesting story because she went into labour during the day but never made it to the hospital in time. By the time the truck came to take her to the hospital (1 hr drive in a private vehicle) it was to late. She ended up having the baby on the side of the road on the way to the hospital. The BO-Me (women) who went with her assisted with the delivery on the roadside. They had no flashlight or water, just a few blankets. She was back home a few hours later. They gave me the honour of naming the baby! In Lesotho, people have a christian name and a sesotho name, I was responsible for both. I named her Sophia Palesa. She is such a beautiful baby and she is getting so big! I will try to get some pics up of her as well. Stay tuned for more updates. I miss you all and hope the weather is not getting too cold.

2 comments:

dmarie said...

i know you're like never going to see this, but today is your birthday... so... happy birthday! i love you and miss you!

i'm so very proud of you!
dani

Julie said...

Thanks Danimal! I had a great Bday bash at the US Ambassodor's House! It was crazy and fun! Hope you are well.